Chapter 32 . [The NPC Sets Off on an Adventure]
From my encounter with the boy to the beginning of this adventure... looking back on it now, it had all unfolded in a single day. I had already made up my mind to travel at some point, so I wasn't panicked. I just never expected it to happen in the blink of an eye.
'Ah, come to think of it... Didn't we agree to meet at the plaza?'
My promise to Valter suddenly popped into my head. Even though it was a rather one-sided arrangement, I couldn't just ignore a childhood friend I'd only recently reconnected with and leave. Besides, I wouldn't be able to contact him for the next two years. He might have done exactly that to me, but he’d definitely throw a fit if I did the same to him.
I turned around and headed toward the plaza.
"......"
I noticed the shadow tailing me awkwardly shift its direction.
'Are they planning to watch me until I actually leave the village?'
Someone had been tailing me ever since I left the inn. It was probably a watcher planted by Derek's younger brother, just to ensure I was actually leaving town.
Was he unexpectedly thorough despite looking so clumsy? No, maybe that escort knight ordered it. Whatever the case, surely they'd understand a quick detour to the plaza.
"...He's not here."
But Valter was nowhere to be seen in the village plaza. I glanced up at the sky. It was still early afternoon, with the sun beating down brightly. It was much earlier than the time I usually finished work. He probably never imagined I would show up at this hour.
'Hmm. I don't have time to wait. And I doubt he's at home.'
If he had gotten a beating from his old man, he definitely wouldn't have gone back home yet. A few places he might be hanging around came to mind. But honestly, I didn't want to see him badly enough to go on a manhunt.
'I don't have the time for that anyway.'
I set my bag down right there and pulled out a pen and paper. I jotted down a quick message.
> [Came to meet you as promised, but you weren't here, so I'm leaving.]
This should do. I left the paper in a conspicuous spot under a nearby tree, weighing it down with a heavy rock. It wasn't a secret, and it didn't matter if anyone else read it. I didn't write Valter's name, but he'd definitely know it was for him if he saw it.
"Well then, shall I get going~?"
But I hadn't taken more than a few steps with my newly lightened heart when someone called out.
"Cecil? Where are you going?"
"Pardon? Oh, I'm just heading out on a trip for a bit."
"...What?"
"Huh?!"
A few passersby abruptly stopped in their tracks. They all turned to look at me with wide, shocked eyes. Unlike last time, this wasn't an errand; it was a journey. The difference was that a journey didn't have a set return date.
'Though I'm only going away for two years.'
But the villagers didn't know that. Just as a pale-faced villager was about to open his mouth, I cut him off and shouted hastily.
"Please take good care of our inn while I'm gone!"
"Uh? Cecil, w-wait a minute?!"
"Cecil!"
"Don't stop visiting just because I'm not there!"
Leaving those words behind, I quickened my pace. Most people who spotted me carrying a fully packed bag had a similar reaction. To avoid the incoming barrage of questions, I practically ran out of the village, shouting the same phrase on repeat.
"Cecil?!"
"I'm off on a journey~!"
As I slipped past the village guard faster than ever before, he reached out as if to grab a fleeing suspect, purely out of ingrained habit. I nimbly dodged his hand, kept running, and turned back to give him a big wave.
After chasing me for a few steps, he let out a chuckle. Then, he waved back at me.
"Make sure you come back safe!"
"Of course!"
He was the first person in the village to give me that kind of reaction. I'd heard that guard used to be an adventurer himself. He probably thought I was running off because I couldn't contain my boiling, youthful blood.
"...Hmm."
And only then did the shadow watching me finally stop tailing me. He'd probably go back to his master now and report: The commoner boy has left the village.
"Shall I hit up the neighboring village first?"
Since I was setting out without a plan, it was best to take a familiar route at the start. The road I had recently traveled felt comfortable rather than intimidating, and the monsters there were weak enough for me to handle alone. However, because I had a late start, dealing with them one by one would mean I wouldn't arrive on time.
"It's a bit of a waste, but it can't be helped."
I pulled some stealth powder, an item that helps avoid monsters, out of my bag, sprinkled it on myself, and marched briskly down the road. It was the very first day of my adventure. I didn't want to sleep rough out in the open already.
---
Thanks to my hurried pace, I managed to reach the neighboring village before the day ended, but it was already the middle of the night.
The guard stationed at the village boundary scanned me with sharp eyes. But since the commotion I caused here was a few months ago, he didn't seem to recognize my face. I probably just looked suspicious rushing into the village so late.
Because it was so late, I couldn't look around and headed straight for the inn.
The White Dove Inn. Seeing that sign reminded me of my resolve to finally give our own inn a name. Though, I had completely forgotten about it thanks to the massive incident that had exploded on my way back last time.
"I'll definitely make a sign this time around."
I pushed the door open and stepped inside.
"Oh my."
The innkeeper sitting behind the counter widened her eyes at me. She seemed to remember me. This inn had plenty of customers, didn't it? Did she just have a really good memory?
As I stepped up to the counter, a bright smile spread across her face.
"You're safe, I see."
"...Excuse me?"
I was bewildered by the sudden remark. Paying no mind to my reaction, the innkeeper continued.
"I was absolutely certain you'd been kidnapped by the Camel Bandits."
"You knew about that?!"
"Well, yes. I heard intel that they were targeting cute kids."
"?!"
Even if I ignored the "cute" comment as her own brand of lip service, did she just say she knew about the kidnapping plot beforehand? She knew and didn't report it to anyone?
"......"
I felt a headache coming on, but then again, that strangely felt very 'video game-esque,' so I just accepted it.
"So I was quite worried that someone like you would get snatched up in an instant."
"Then you should have told me beforehand!"
If she was worried, she should have warned me. ...Granted, I wasn't cute, nor was I a kid, but still.
"I did tell you, didn't I? I told you that once your errand was done, you shouldn't follow strangers and just go straight home like a good boy."
"......"
Damn it. Now that I think about it, I did hear that. She definitely warned me. In an incredibly roundabout way.
I thought she was just treating me like a toddler. Who in their right mind would interpret that as, 'Beware, a bandit troupe is plotting kidnappings'?!
"Please just tell me directly next time..."
"I'll try my best. So, one room?"
"Yes."
Having said her piece, she casually flipped open her ledger with a nonchalant attitude. She checked a spot on the page and spoke.
"You remember the room you used last time, right? You can use that one. 40G."
I placed the coins on the counter and immediately headed upstairs. She seemed indifferent and somewhat unfriendly, yet she remembered the smallest details perfectly. I wasn't sure if I should use this innkeeper's attitude as a role model or a cautionary tale.
The interior was as clean as it was before. Everyone agreed that our inn back home was spotless, but... this place seemed just a little, a very little bit cleaner.
I tossed my bag into a corner, pulled out my notebook, and opened it. Since things had turned out this way, I'd decided to observe the world thoroughly. When traveling, you inevitably have to use inns.
'In that case, I can just collect all their best points and apply them to our own inn!'
It was a solid, productive plan. Since I had to roam around anyway, I might as well do some research for my comfortable future.
Because I had already visited this place, there wasn't much to write down. After hastily scribbling a few notes, I shoved the notebook back into my bag and dove straight into bed. Enveloped by the plush blankets, the tension quickly drained from my body, and I slipped into the world of sleep.
---
The next morning, after sleeping in late, I woke up and gave a massive stretch. My mother's face flashed in my mind, how she had held my hands tightly, her voice full of worry when I left home. The fact that I was doing far better than expected made me feel a pang of guilt for some reason.
"...No, doing well is a good thing."
I forcefully convinced myself of that, finished getting ready, and left the room. I had a generous two years ahead of me, so there was no need to rush.
However, I was still close to my hometown. If I wasn't careful and the boy spotted me, it could raise unnecessary suspicions. I should put as much distance between us as possible before I start leisurely sightseeing.
Well, according to the story, problems would be erupting left and right during this time... but that was strictly the protagonist's burden to bear.
'I can just wander around feeling like I'm on a comfortable sightseeing tour.'
It was a moment where I wanted to offer my thanks once again for not being born the protagonist. Who cares if an ordinary NPC's adventure lacks drama and is completely comfortable? As long as the protagonist's story is interesting, that's all that matters.
"You're up? That's quite early. You could have rested a bit longer."
As I came down to the first floor, the innkeeper struck up a friendly conversation. When she was in this mood, she was surprisingly helpful with answering questions.
That worked out well. I quickly approached her and asked,
"I have a question."
"Oh my, what is it?"
"When do the traveling merchants come by?"
"Ah~ those folks."
She gave a light shrug.
"They don't have a specific schedule. As wanderers usually do, they show up out of the blue and leave just as abruptly. Come to think of it, they haven't been visiting much lately."
"...Is that so?"
If they hadn't been around recently, the chances of running into them even if I stayed longer were slim. It seemed I was fated to miss them again this time. But I was going to be wandering the world anyway. I'd bump into them eventually.
The innkeeper stared blankly at my disappointed expression before speaking up again.
"To repay my debt from last time, let me give you a piece of advice."
"Yes? What is it?"
My ears perked up at the word 'advice'. The innkeeper smiled, looking at me as if she were looking at a cute younger brother.
"There's intel saying the Camel Bandits has been lurking around this area recently."
"R-recently, you say?"
"To think they'd come back after being chased out like that. I wonder if they left something behind?"
"......"
Left something behind. That sounded incredibly ominous.
Comments Box