New novel + exclusive chapters on Ko-fi 🍪💙

CUB - 27.1

Chapter 27: I Want Big Brother Xiaoze

Ji Suize’s expression twisted for a moment before quickly returning to calm. If one looked closely, they could still see the storm not yet fully hidden in the depths of his eyes.

Ji Suize walked back to Ji Shiyu’s side and asked in a low voice, “Where is that book?”

He didn’t believe Ji Shiyu would honestly leave the book in its original place. Since Ji Shiyu had seized his weakness, he would certainly exploit it to the fullest.

Sure enough, Ji Shiyu patted his small backpack and said triumphantly, “It’s here.”

Ji Suize: “Give it to me.”

Ji Shiyu: “No.”

Ji Suize’s face darkened. In the past, whenever he showed such an expression, Ji Shiyu would obediently hand things over. But this time, thinking he had Ji Suize’s soft spot under control, Ji Shiyu grew exceptionally bold.

“Do you think I’m still the same Ji Shiyu from before? I’ve grown stronger now and won’t be scared by you anymore.” Despite his words, he clutched the backpack tightly in his arms, afraid that Ji Suize might resort to force if negotiations broke down.

Ji Suize disdained such childish behavior and issued an ultimatum: “Are you really not giving it to me?”

After a moment of hesitation, Ji Shiyu firmly replied, “No!”

Ji Suize nodded, his face betraying no emotion. “Keep it if you want. Even if you tell others, no one will believe you.”

Ji Shiyu: “…”

Ji Suize was right. Everyone might read that book, but Ji Suize never would.

If he spoke out, others would only think he was framing Ji Suize.

Ji Shiyu wasn’t panicked, though. He had already prepared a backup plan.

He took out his phone and showed Ji Suize a photo he had just taken.

“Did you think I was still the same fool as before? I anticipated this, so I took a photo.”

Remembering something, Ji Shiyu added, “Are you going to say I planted the book in your room? No, no, no!”

Ji Shiyu wagged his left index finger, looking both arrogant and punchable. “The camera uncle captured your desk. That book was placed in a very conspicuous spot. Anyone looking back through the footage would see it, so there’s no way I could have put it there afterward.”

Ji Suize: “…”

If only Ji Shiyu’s cleverness were applied to his studies, his parents would surely be overjoyed.

“Just these two conditions?”

Ji Shiyu was taken aback, then widened his eyes.

When he used the photo as leverage, he lacked confidence. Even he wasn’t sure if this move would work. He couldn’t believe Ji Suize had conceded so easily.

Instead of feeling triumphant, Ji Shiyu grew fearful at the thought of Ji Suize retaliating later. He couldn’t even muster the urge to enjoy his momentary victory.

Despite being the one making threats, Ji Shiyu acted like the threatened party, timidly saying, “I… I only have these two demands.”

Ji Suize nodded again and reached out toward Ji Shiyu.

Ji Shiyu instinctively stepped back, shielding his backpack and phone. “What are you doing?”

Ji Suize: “I’ve agreed. Can you destroy the evidence now?”

Ji Shiyu, still rational, replied, “I can, but not until the last day of the break. How do I know you won’t go back on your word? What if I destroy the evidence first, and you turn around and change your mind?”

Ji Suize took a deep breath. In all the years he had known Ji Shiyu, this was the first time he had been threatened by him.

“As you wish.” Ji Suize tossed out these two words and turned to enter the room.

Ji Shiyu stood frozen in place, taking a long while to digest Ji Suize's words.

So, he had really succeeded?!

***

As soon as Ji Suize entered the room, he received a warm greeting from Su Yanheng: "How did the talk go?"

Ji Suize gave him a faint glance, walked over to sit beside Niannian, and half-hugged the little one into his arms. His gaze swept over the pile of puzzle pieces, quickly picking out one and handing it to the little one. After receiving a grateful smile from the little one, the corners of his mouth lifted slightly.

Su Yanheng was long accustomed to his little brother's disregard and shifted his attention to Ji Shiyu, who entered afterward. He waved to the listless Ji Shiyu: "Come here, Xiao Yu."

Ji Shiyu trudged over dejectedly and had just sat down when a banana was shoved into his hand.

"Did you settle things with Xiao Ze?"

Ji Shiyu nodded absently.

Su Yanheng pondered thoughtfully: "Are you heading back now? I'll have the driver take you."

"I'm not going back."

This was originally what Ji Shiyu had hoped for, yet he seemed dispirited.

Su Yanheng smoothed the furrow between Ji Shiyu's brows, amused: "Aren't you happy staying here?"

Ji Shiyu glanced at Ji Suize. Ji Suize didn't even look his way, but it still unsettled him. His brows, which had just relaxed, furrowed again: "I am happy."

Su Yanheng: "..."


[Take a look in the mirror, does this look like happiness to you?]

[So what exactly did they talk about?]

[What is Xiao Ze's secret? How could he be threatened by Xiao Yu?]

[Look at Xiao Yu, does he look like someone who threatens others? I'd sooner believe Xiao Ze threatened him!]

-

Ji Shiyu was the epitome of "forgetting pain after the wound heals." He would strive to enjoy himself to the fullest before disaster struck him. One moment he was deeply worried about Ji Suize's future retaliation, and the next he had forgotten all about it, grinning cheekily as he sidled up to Ji Suize again.

"What's so fun about puzzles? I brought a new model kit. Let's assemble it together."

Ji Suize held onto Niannian without letting go. Ji Shiyu couldn't squeeze between the two, so he could only squat behind them. When Ji Suize ignored him, he turned to speak to Niannian instead.

To his relief, his little cousin wasn't as cold and heartless as Ji Suize and still responded to his words.

As soon as Niannian's little head turned toward him, he seized the opportunity, offering his most sincere smile: "Niannian, let's assemble the model together?"

Niannian hesitated. He really wanted to see Ji Shiyu's model kit, but he had already promised his big brothers to work on the puzzle together. The puzzle wasn't finished yet, and leaving early wouldn't be right.

No refusal meant there was hope. Ji Shiyu continued coaxing: "This puzzle is too big. You won't finish it even in a day. You can set it aside for now. My model is very small, it'll be done in no time."

Niannian looked at Ji Suize, then at Su Yanheng, but still didn't speak up.

Su Yanheng guessed that Niannian wanted to play but was too shy to say so.

He patted Niannian's head, offering encouragement: "Just say what you want to do."

Is it okay?

Will I not be scolded if I say it?

The moment the question surfaced, a voice in his heart answered him, 

Of course it's okay. Big Brother and Third Brother aren't Niannian. As long as it's not an excessive request, they'll agree.

"I... I want to play with the model with Xiao Yu brother," Niannian lowered his eyes, speaking his mind with little confidence.

After these words, a large hand covered the top of his head, its warm temperature immediately dispelling his unease.

Su Yanheng: "If you want to play, go ahead. The puzzle can be put together anytime."

Niannian blinked, happily throwing himself into Big Brother's embrace, his cheek pressed tightly against Big Brother's chest. The tears that had just welled up were forcibly held back.

It wasn't that he was bad at expressing himself, but rather that he didn't dare to.

Because every time he expressed himself, he never got the result he wanted, and instead faced stern criticism from Mommy and Daddy. Over time, whenever he needed to make a choice, he would instinctively choose the one that would make Mommy and Daddy happy, thus ignoring his own heart.

It's so good to have come to this world, so good to have met Big Brother.

"I like Big Brother." The voice was somewhat muffled, yet it traveled from his chest through Su Yanheng's entire body, giving Su Yanheng goosebumps all over.

Su Yanheng really enjoyed his little brother's affection. After holding him for a while and seeing that the little one still had no intention of leaving, he patted the little one's bottom: "Alright, go play."

Niannian wiggled his little bottom, his head still buried in Su Yanheng's embrace, as if acting coquettishly with Su Yanheng.


[Is it just my imagination, or does Niannian seem not very confident?]

[I told you they're just putting on a show. Look at Su Yanheng's schedule, where would he have so much time to play with a child? The whole 'brotherly love and respect' act is all fake!]

[I might barely believe Su Yanheng is faking it, but you're saying a three-year-old child is faking it? Are you kidding?]

[It's precisely because Su Yanheng doesn't spend enough time with him that Niannian acts this way. Getting to know someone takes a process. Su Yanheng is giving all the right responses, and Niannian is just starting to accept them. I really don't know what you all are arguing about.]


After suppressing all the unhappy feelings, Niannian finally left Su Yanheng's embrace. He tried very hard not to cry and managed to control it well, with only a slight redness in his eyes. To others, it looked like he had been holding back for too long.

"Little brother, let's go play with the models." Ji Shiyu seized the opportunity to squeeze behind Niannian, wrapping his arms around Niannian's waist and imitating Ji Suize, trying to lift Niannian up.

Chaper List:

Comments Box